Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Playlist: Prince songs, a cappella

Ever wonder what Prince’s music would sound like with all the funk removed?

Now we know, because college a cappella groups love to sing Prince songs. Because, you know, that way, glee clubs are cool!

Below are some collegiate a cappella Prince covers I gathered during the golden age of Napster. One of them I actually like – the first one, “Thieves in the Temple.”

Click the song titles to hear these tracks streaming on my Vox site.

1. “Thieves in the Temple” – UNC Loreleis

2. “Let’s Go Crazy” – Tufts Beelzebubs

3. “1999” – Hullabahoos (University of Virginia)

4. “7” – Brown Jabberwocks

5. “When Doves Cry” – Dartmouth Aires

6 comments:

bklyn6 said...

How minty fresh.

"1999" is okay.

But, they shoulda done "Head" or my all time favorite, "Sexy Dancer." :thumbsup:

Invisible Woman said...

Prince is gonna get you!

Edshugeo The GodMoor said...

Thieves and 7 are great. 1999 and LGC not bad. I think When Doves Cry is the weakest of the bunch, and because of the song, not the singers.

Heed the Invisible Woman. Prince really is on the warpath.

Anonymous said...

Princeton used to come sing at my all-girls boarding school back in the early-to-mid 90s and the Prince songs always got everyone excited.

Also...having actual boys (men?) on campus got everyone excited...

Undercover Black Man said...

I shouldn't put these folks down. The harmonies are intricate and the arrangements are creative. But still... I want my funk uncut.

Looks like a lot of these guys do hip-hop songs now (like "Hey Ya") to be even hipper than Prince music.

Undercover Black Man said...

Prince is gonna get you!

I didn't know what you meant by this at first, IW.

Now I do.