Saturday, November 10, 2007

A free Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings download

I long ago pledged my allegiance to the funk. The P-Funk in particular.

But I haven’t gotten into the whole funk/soul revivalist thing happening... with bands like El Michels Affair and England’s James Taylor Quartet.

See, I’m into grooves that reach forward. Even listening to some vintage Funkadelic or James Brown, you can still feel the forward momentum of the music.

The revivalists... they seem to be about lo-fi nostalgia and vinyl fetishism. Fanboy shit. Stylin’, profilin’ and steady looking back.

Hey... whatever gets you over, I guess.

The Brooklyn-based Dap-Kings appear to be getting over. They backed up Amy Winehouse on her last project. And they put out a new CD of their own, with vocalist Sharon Jones.

They’re trying their damnedest to sound like something released by Atlantic Records in 1968.

The track “100 Days, 100 Nights” – from the album of the same name – is available as a FREE MP3 from AOL’s Spinner.com. Follow this link to cop.

You can also download this song from the Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings MySpace page.

You can hear it streaming on my Vox blog by clicking here.

Maybe I need to check out this gang when they come perform in L.A. next month... and see if they’re worth getting excited about.

3 comments:

bklyn6 said...

Um frum Brooklyn! But, I only heard about this act for the first time very recently. (And I thought I'd read the reference here, but I guess it was another blog.) I really haven't been on top of new domestic acts. :-/

Thembi Ford said...

When I lived in Paris and listened to the same station all the time (www.novaplanet.com - UBM, youd like it a lot overall), they played their version of "This Land is Your Land" all the time. It is easily in my top 10 list of covers of songs better than the original.

Mark said...

Dude, dismiss these guys if you want, but we just saw their show in Seattle Saturday night, and I'm telling you it's the real shit. And Sharon can flat bring it.

If you haven't missed them yet in LA, by all means go.

mm